18.12.10

nominal: in name only


As I read through the second chapter in John Piper's book Desiring God again, I felt a deep sorrow for the many people that I know in whose lives I am not seeing the evidence of
Christ as Lord. They say that they're Christians. I may have known them for a long time. And I trust them. But sometimes I wonder, and pray.

You know the basic theology. You go to church every week and help out wherever it's needed. You read your Bible at least every couple days. You pray regularly.

But that's not in any way the definition of what conversion looks like.


Doing good works, and believing that God exists and heaven and hell are real does not mean you are saved. "Saving faith involves a profound change of heart. It is not merely
agreement with the truth of doctrine."* James 2:19 says that the demons believe in the truth of doctrine.

What do you treasure? Relationships, reputation, surroundings, abilities, etc. I'm assuming at least one of those would come to mind when asked that question. But does Jesus come to mind?


"Saving faith is the confidence that if you sell all you have and forsake all sinful pleasures, the hidden treasure of holy joy will satisfy your deepest desires. Saving faith is the heartfelt conviction
not only that Christ is reliable, but also that he is desirable. It is the confidence that He will come through with His promises and that what He promises is more to be desired than all the world."*

All the world.


Do you treasure Jesus? Is He everything to you?


I would plead with you, search your heart.


Because Christ DOES satisfy, unlike anything else in all the world.


*{quotes were taken from Desiring God by John Piper, Chapter 2}

No comments: